Program Start (January 2012) to Date:
Homeless Gear Outreach Video
(Produced by Fort Collins City Cable 14)
Many of the people we serve are without hope, disengaged from the community and no longer accessing services through the traditional agency system. Our goal is to bridge that gap: to instill a sense of hope in the people we serve, reconnect them to the community and provide them with the services and support that they need to survive, move forward, escape homelessness and become self-sufficient.
Through our Street Outreach program, we send paired volunteers onto the streets of Fort Collins three nights and one afternoon per week to engage directly with the people we serve. We operate the only Street Outreach program in the community, so we are uniquely-positioned to interact with a segment of the population that is new to the streets, unfamiliar with community resources and/or disconnected with the traditional agency system.
Our volunteers distribute life-sustaining supplies, share information about services in the community and offer hope, companionship and support to everyone whom we see.
Homeless Gear is looking for volunteers to join its Street Outreach Team! As a member of the Street Outreach Team, you and a partner will go out in the afternoon and/or evening to (a) deliver clothing, food, and other emergency gear to people experiencing homelessness in Fort Collins, (b) provide those individuals with information about and access to resources in the community and (c) form lasting and meaningful relationships with your less-fortunate neighbors.
This is a wonderful opportunity to serve your community, interact with and offer companionship to others, and provide basic–and potentially life-saving–supplies to those who need them most. Volunteers must be 18+ and commit to at least one shift per month, approximately 3.5 hours per shift (or 2 hours for afternoon shifts). Contact David by phone at (970) 682-3193 or by email at David@HomelessGear.org.
“We had an amazing time. I am not going to lie, I was a bit nervous at first, but it turned out to be an amazing experience. My eyes were really opened to something I had held a stereotype for a long time.” – Street Outreach volunteer, reflecting on her first shift
- Develop personal relationships and trust
- Provide emergency products & services
- Share information about/make connections to community resources
- Serve as a companion as people navigate the often-complex social-service system
- Work in cooperation with (but independent from) the Police and Fort Collins Rangers
- Serve as a liaison between people experiencing homelessness and the merchants associations, businesses and other agencies in our community
- Gather data
- Help people escape homelessness and regain self-sufficiency
The Street Outreach program operates year-round.
- Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday Nights; Friday afternoons
- Shift Hours: 7:00 PM to 10:30 PM during evening shifts, 1:00 PM to 3:00 during afternoon shifts
The process to become certified includes three steps:
- Brief orientation (phone, email, or face-to-face)
- Classroom training (approximately 1.5 hours)
- Ride-along with experienced team
For more information and/or to sign up for training call David Rout at (970) 682-3193 or e-mail David@HomelessGear.org.