Special Events and Calendar
“Dare to reach out your hand into the darkness, to pull another hand into the light.” ~Norman B. Rice
Children in Need Distributions
Once per quarter, we host supply distribution and service events for children and families at the Matthews House Community Life Center (220 N. Grant Avenue in Fort Collins). We distribute gear, outerwear, hygiene items and other supplies, and numerous partner organizations join us to provide attendees with a wide range of services and support: eye exams, health screenings, children’s books, art supplies, haircuts, resource information and pet food, among others. Attendees are referred to the events through the McKinney-Vento program in the local school district and/or through agencies that serve homeless children and families in Larimer County.
Events run from 9 AM to 11:30 AM. Upcoming dates are:
- September 13, 2014
- December 13, 2014
- February 21, 2015
- May 9, 2015
Volunteers are the driving force behind our Children in Need events. As many as 150 volunteers participate in each event, serving as “personal shoppers” for attending families, distributing supplies and managing event logistics, among other tasks. We ask volunteers to sign up for “shifts” (8:30 AM to 12:00 PM and 11:30 AM to 1:00 PM). The first shift participates in the event and the second shift cleans up after the event. Bilingual volunteers needed!
Please know that you can still just drop in if you didn’t get a chance to sign up. We will never turn away volunteers. To sign up for a shift, please contact Eileen Corbiere at Eileen@HomelessGear.org or by phone at 970-587-3556.
Sam’s Club Food Collection Event:
- Collect donations of non-perishable food and drinks and interact with customers. We need at least four volunteers for each of two shifts: 10:30 AM to 1:30 PM (help us set up) or 1:30 PM to 4:30 PM (help us close down).
- Operate the BBQ! Help barbeque hot dogs and hamburgers in coordination with the drive. We need at least one volunteer for each of two shifts: 10:30 AM to 1:30 PM or 1:30 PM to 4:30 PM.
- Transport donated products from the Sam’s Club to HG food storage (about 5 miles away) at 4:30 PM.
If you are interested in helping out, please contact Eileen by phone at (970) 587-3556 or by email at Eileen@HomelessGear.org.
Collection Event Dates Are Scheduled For:
- July 19, 2014
- August 9, 2014
- August 23, 2014
- September 20, 2014
- October 18, 2014
- November 8, 2014
- November 22, 2014
- December 20, 2014
For more information on our Non-Perishable Food program, please contact David Rout, Homeless Gear David@HomelessGear.org 970-682-3193.
Non Perishable Food & Take-Away Meal Program
From November 1st 2011 to March 31 2012 Homeless Gear collected, assembled, and distributed 5,000 breakfast sack meals for guests of the Fort Collins Emergency Overflow Shelter. The overflow shelter serves the homeless that cannot get into our two permanent shelters due to lack of bed space. Because of the overwhelming outpouring of support from the community for this project and the corresponding need for supplemental readily consumable food items and liquids by the homeless, our Non Perishable Food Program was born!
We are now collecting Non Perishable and Readily Consumable food/drink items year round for the homeless so that they can stay hydrated & supplement their calorie needs with the 1-2 hot meals that are typically available to some (but not all) each day. We will distribute these items at The Murphy Center, during our monthly distributions events, through some of the 40+ homeless facilities we support throughout Colorado and during our Night Street Outreach Program.
You or your group, class, troop, church or business can help in one of 5 ways:
- Collect and provide component food or drink items (see list below).
- Provide cash or gift cards for us to purchase component food/ drink items.
- Provide completed ready to eat “take away meals” (see below for details).
- Provide labor to assemble Take-Away Meals.
- Deliver Take-Away Meals to facilities in Fort Collins, Loveland, Greeley Longmont, Boulder, or Denver.
Components should be:Food & Drink Items:
- Able to be easily opened without mechanical devise
- Able to be eaten straight away or by adding hot water
- Non perishable or shelf life longer than six months
- Commercially produced and packaged
- In individual sized containers
Components: Use your imagination but here are some suggestions:
- Juice Boxes, Capri Suns, Bottled Water
- Granola Bars
- Breakfast Bars
- Pop Tarts
- Fruit Rollups or Fruit Snacks
- Peanut Butter or Cheese Crakers
- Trail Mix
- Fruit or Pudding Cups
- Instant Soups
- Instant Mac & Cheese
You can either provide “breakfast” or “lunch” oriented Take-Away Meals.
Basic Items (Breakfast or Lunch Meal)
- Plastic Sack
- Disposable Spoon
- Juice Box, Water, or Capri Sun
- 2 or 3 ready to eat items (see component list)
Plus: Breakfast Take-Away Meal:
- Hot Chocolate Packet (just add water)
- Instant Oatmeal Packet (just add water)
- Disposable Bowl
Plus: Lunch Take-Away Meal:
- Cup-A-Noodles or Tuna/Crackers (ready to each containers)
If you would like to participate in any way (individual or group), would like to set up delivery or have questions please contact:
David Rout, Homeless Gear David@HomelessGear.org 970-682-3193