“I can’t even begin to express my gratitude for Hand Up’s job services, which have been the pivotal piece for getting me the job. Not just a job that will get me by, but my dream job in my dream field – a job that will open doors for the rest of my life. You stood beside me, helped me to not be afraid of my own success and today I feel like a whole new human being. I now feel so excited about my future, where I wasn’t even a month ago. I will never be able to thank you enough. ~Jennifer, Hand Up Participant
Program Start (2008) To Date:
The Hand Up program empowers individuals and families who are homeless or near-homeless to obtain employment, move forward and escape homelessness. The goal of the program is to help participants regain self-sufficiency, but our emphasis is employment. We meet participants “where they are” to help them transition from (a) unemployed to employed, (b) stuck to unstuck and (c) homeless to self-sufficient. More specifically, we support participants in at least one of three ways:
- Employment: we help job seekers develop the tools that they need to effectively search and apply for work, and we form partnerships with socially-conscious business-people who, in some cases, hire our program participants. We also distribute career gear through a “Career Closet” at the Murphy Center for Hope.
- Problem Solving: we provide short-term support that helps participants return to and move forward along the path to self-sufficiency. Sometimes that support is tangible (an item, for example), and other times it is less tangible (brainstorming to solve a problem, for example). In each case, however, it is designed to help the participant become “unstuck.”
- Intensive Case Management: In some cases, we provide intensive, long-term case management. We support participants as they transition from unemployed to employed and homeless to housed. Most frequently, we provide this long-term support to participants who obtain employment through one of our hiring partners.
Are you homeless or at-risk of homelessness and looking for work? We are here to help, and all of our services are free-of-charge.
- Where: Murphy Center for Hope, 242 Conifer Street, Fort Collins, CO 80524
- When: By appointment only, Monday through Friday, 8 AM to 5 PM
- How: Contact Linda, Hand Up Program Director, by email at Linda@HomelessGear.org or by phone at (970) 316-4037 to schedule an appointment
- Resume Resources
- Cover Letter Resources
- Interview Resources
- Employment Resources
Hire a Hand Up Program Participant:
Hand Up has over a dozen business partners who hire participants in the program. Learn more here!