How to Help
“If you have much, give of your wealth; if you have little, give of your heart.” ~Arabian Proverb
There are a variety of ways you can contribute to the Homeless Gear effort. After reviewing these options if you would like us to come in and speak with your group, class or organization about homelessness or you want to learn more about our mission please let us know.
- Donate Product (Outdoor Gear, Outdoor Basic Clothing, Hygiene Items, Non Perishable Food): Please see our Product Donations page for a complete list of the items we are collecting.
- Organize a Product Drive: This is largely a grass roots effort and we depend heavily on word of mouth to help spread our message. Consider organizing a gear drive within a group that you are associated with. This is a perfect volunteer activity for an individual, group, scout troop, business, or other community organization. We can customize a product drive that would be most suitable for the group involved. Call us and let’s talk about the possibilities.
- Volunteer: Please see the Volunteer Opportunities page of our website for a variety of ways that you, your family, or your group can volunteer to help with our events or with one of our many program activities.
- Donate Cash: Please consider giving us a tax deductible cash contribution. We are a 501c3 Non Profit organization and we are not funded by any local, state, or federal agency. We are blessed with wonderful in-kind (non cash) donation support from individuals, groups, businesses and corporate sponsors. However we do have a relatively small operating budget that requires cash funding.
We have been able to furnish homeless men, women, and children throughout the state with about $4 million worth of outdoor gear, outdoor basic clothing, non perishable food, and hygiene items in the past five-plus years and we continue to expand our programs and services to meet their needs. We will leverage your cash donation to maximum benefit to help the homeless.
How to Donate Cash
- Make your check out to Homeless Gear
- Mail your check to:
- Homeless Gear
- 1305 Duff Drive, Unit 5
- Fort Collins, CO 80524
- Credit Card: Donate to Homeless Gear online with a credit card using the secure link below (please be aware that a donation made via credit card will incur a processing fee that is charged to the Homeless Gear fund).
Enterprise Zone Tax Credit
Homeless Gear has been designated as an Enterprise Zone project. All monetary contributions of $500 or more are eligible for a 25% State of Colorado Tax Credit. Please request this certificate from us if you plan on using this credit on your taxes. The certificate is only processed if you specifically ask for it.
All Enterprise Zone donations must include a social security number or a Colorado Taxpayer Account Number in order to receive the Enterprise Zone credit. Please note, taxpayers can use their Colorado Account Number in place of their Social Security Number on EZ tax credit forms if preferred.
All Colorado taxpayers have a Colorado Account Number and can request it by visiting www.colorado.gov/revenueonline . Choose “Individual” of “Business” and then choose “Request Letter ID” and select “Sign Up.” Please include your social security or account number on your check when submitting your donation.
Your cash contributions go to support the following Homeless Gear Programs and Services:
- Street Outreach Program (Bringing companionship, emergency services, and resource connections to the homeless on the streets–bridging the gap between the homeless and the agencies/resources that are in place to help them regain their self sufficiency)
- Non Perishable Food Program
- Hand Up Program (Providing one-on-one job support to homeless and near-homeless individuals and providing personalized, intensive and volunteer-leveraged support to single, homeless women.
- Bulk Purchase Of Products (Socks, Tarps, Day Packs, Gloves, etc)
- Homeless Children/Family Quarterly Gear, Housewares, Clothing, and Hygiene Distributions
- Homeless Adults Monthly Outdoor Gear, Clothing and Hygiene Distributions
- Children In Need Program (Focus on Homeless Families and Children)
- Facilities Supported Program (Supplying gear, clothing hygiene products to homeless facilities across the state)
- Facilitator and Connector For Special Events/Resources For The Homeless: Children’s Book Drive, Thanksgiving Dinner, Apartment Furnishings For The Newly Housed, Family Portraits With Santa, etc.
- Participation Annually In Project Homeless Connect Event
- Facilitator of Volunteer Opportunities for Individuals, Families, Children, and Groups Of All Kinds To Help The Homeless