Please, Help Us Reach Our $50K December Fundraising Goal and Launch an Endowment Fund for the Murphy Center!
Last year, we were amazed by the generosity that poured in the month of December. Because of you, we exceeded our fundraising goals for our annual, virtual campaign, historically known as “$31K in 31 Days.” This year, we’ve set an even bigger goal: raise $50K the month of December to launch an Endowment Fund for the Murphy Center! Establishing a Murphy Center Endowment Fund will ensure the long-term stability of a facility that plays a crucial role in our community’s plan to make homelessness rare, short-lived and non-recurring. You can make your December donation by clicking here to donate online, mailing a check, or participating in Colorado Gives Day on December 5th (more payment information can be found at the bottom of this page). Thank you for your support!!
So far in 2017, you have helped the Murphy Center…
- host 17 independent non-profits that collectively offer nearly 40 services, ranging from crisis intervention to homeless prevention
- support more than 50 Murphy Center guests to secure affordable housing
- facilitate more than 30,000 guest visits
- launch the Housing First Initiative, a housing-focused case management program and data collection tool for the community at-large
- provide mail service for 850 Murphy Center guests, 6,000 showers, 1,300 loads of laundry and 40,000 meals-worth of food
There are three ways to make your donation this December:
- CLICK HERE and click the yellow “Donate” button. You can set up a recurring donation here, too! For recurring donations, we will direct the first donation to the Endowment Fund; ongoing payments will be directed to general operating costs, providing multi-level support to individuals and families who are homeless or at risk of homelessness.
- MAIL A CHECK to “Homeless Gear” at 1305 Duff Drive, Unit 5, Fort Collins, CO 80524
- PARTICIPATE in Colorado Gives Day on December 5th, the statewide movement to “give where you live!” You can schedule your donation before or on the 5th by visiting this page.
If 1,000 people donate $50 this month, we will hit our goal. Any amount touches a life — If you’re able to give less, please consider giving less; if you’re able to give more, please consider giving more.
Thank you for making Homeless Gear’s programs and initiatives–including the Murphy Center–a reality.
Why an Endowment Fund?
The Murphy Center has played a key role in our community since it was founded in 2009. While it has experienced changes since (management, number and focus of services, etc.), its vision has remained the same: provide a single space through which people who face homelessness can efficiently and effectively connect with service providers. Today, the Murphy Center serves four key, community purposes: one-stop-shop resource center, core service provider, host of morning/day services and home to the newly-launched Housing First Initiative. You can learn more about the Murphy Center here.
We cannot always predict the future, but we know that–year-over-year–resources are essential in carrying out our mission. An endowment ensures stability: it is a permanent fund that provides income each year to support a charitable cause. The word “endowment” simply means that your gift will be invested for the benefit of the organization — in this case, for the benefit of the Murphy Center. The earnings from these investments will be contributed to the Murphy Center every year and then used to fulfill the Murphy Center’s mission.
An endowment facilitates the strategic use of funds because it allows an organization to plan on its income from one year to the next (the fund will be professionally managed and will distribute a percentage of its funds to support ongoing needs of the Murphy Center). The endowment also presents an opportunity for donors who want to make legacy or planned gifts. (Thanks to the Community Foundation of Northern Colorado for this endowment information.)
With a solid foundation beneath us, we are excited to look to the future and establish an Endowment Fund for the Murphy Center. Please don’t hesitate to reach out with any questions about Homeless Gear, the Murphy Center, our December campaign…or anything and everything in between!
- Ken John, Murphy Center Development Director, Ken@HomelessGear.org or (970) 581-4921
- Chelsey Mandell, Homeless Gear Development Director, Chelsey@HomelessGear.org or (970) 587-3556